How we collect information about you
When you visit the ACE website or use the ACE Services or ACE application, we collect information sent to us by your computer, mobile phone or other access device. This information may include your IP address, device information including but not limited to identifier, name and type, operating system, location, mobile network information and standard web log information, such as your browser type, traffic to and from our site and the pages you accessed on our website.
If you open an account or use the ACE Services, we may collect the following types of information:
- Contact information - your name, address, phone, email, Skype ID and other similar information.
- Financial information - the full bank account numbers and/or credit card numbers that you use to purchase products from your ACE account or give us when you use the ACE Services
Before permitting you to use the ACE Services, we may require you to provide additional information we can use to verify your identity or address or manage risk, such as your date of birth, social security number or other information. We may also obtain information about you from third parties such as credit bureaus and identity verification services.
When you use the ACE Services, we collect information about your transactions and your other activities on our website, application or when using the ACE Services and we may collect information about your computer or other access device for fraud prevention purposes.
In order to help protect you from fraud and misuse of your personal information, we may collect information about your use and interaction with our website, application or the ACE Services. For example, we may evaluate your computer, mobile phone or other access device to identify any malicious software or activity that may affect the availability of the ACE Services.
Finally, we may collect additional information from or about you in other ways such as contacts with our customer support team or results when you respond to a survey and from other companies.
When you access our website or content or use our application or the ACE Services, we or companies we work with, may place small data files called cookies or pixel tags on your computer or other device. We use these technologies to recognize you as a ACE customer, customize the ACE Services, content, measure promotional effectiveness, collect information about your computer or other access device to mitigate risk, help prevent fraud and promote trust and safety.
We use both session and persistent cookies when you access our website or content. Session cookies expire and no longer have any effect when you log out of your account or close your browser. Persistent cookies remain on your browser until you erase them or they expire.
We also use Local Shared Objects, commonly referred to as "Flash cookies", to help ensure that your account security is not compromised, to spot irregularities in behavior to help prevent fraud and to support our sites and services.
We encode our cookies so that only we can interpret the information stored in them. You are free to decline our cookies if your browser or browser add-on permits, but doing so may interfere with your use of our website. The help section of most browsers or browser add-ons provides instructions on blocking, deleting or disabling cookies.
How we protect and store personal information
Throughout this policy, we use the term "personal information" to describe information that can be associated with a specific person and can be used to identify that person. We do not consider personal information to include information that has been anonymized so that it does not identify a specific user.
We store and process your personal information on our computers in the US and elsewhere in the world where ACE facilities or our service providers are located, and we protect it by maintaining physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in compliance with applicable US federal and state regulations. We use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, we enforce physical access controls to our buildings and files, and we authorize access to personal information only for those employees who require it to fulfill their job responsibilities.
How we use the personal information we collect
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a secure, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. We may use your personal information to:
- provide the ACE Services and customer support you request;
- process transactions and send notices about your transactions;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce our User Agreement;
- customize, measure, and improve the ACE Services and the content and layout of our website and applications;
- deliver targeted marketing, service update notices, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
We don't sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize the ACE Services, content and advertising. If you don't wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in our ad-customization programs, simply indicate your preference by unsubscribing or by following the directions provided with the communication or advertisement.
How we share personal information with other ACE users
To process your payments, we may share some of your personal information with the person or company that is paying for you. Your contact information, date of sign-up, the number of payments you have made and whether you have verified control of a bank account are provided to other ACE providers who you transact with through ACE. In addition, this and other information may also be shared with third parties when you access these third party products using ACE Services. Unless you have agreed to it, these third parties are not allowed to use this information for any purpose other than to enable the ACE Services.
If you are buying products or services and pay through ACE, we may also provide the seller with your shipping and confirmed credit card billing address to help complete your transaction with the seller. The seller is not allowed to use this information to market their services to you unless you have agreed to it. If an attempt to pay your seller fails, or is later invalidated, we may also provide your seller with details of the unsuccessful payment.
Regardless, we will not disclose your credit card number or bank account number to anyone you have paid or who has paid for you through ACE or with the third parties that offer or use the ACE Services, except with your express permission or if we are required to do so to comply with a credit card rules, subpoena or other legal process.
How we share personal information with other parties
We may share your personal information with:
- Members of the ACE Inc. corporate family -- like ACE, Public Safety Knowledge -- to provide joint content, products and services (like registration, transactions and customer support), to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts and violations of our policies, and to guide decisions about their products, services and communications. Members of our corporate family will use this information to send you marketing communications only if you have requested their services.
- Service providers under contract who help with parts of our business operations such as fraud prevention, bill collection, marketing and technology services. Our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- Financial institutions that we partner with to jointly create and offer a product. These financial institutions may only use this information to market ACE-related products, unless you have given consent for other uses.
- Credit bureaus to report account information, as permitted by law.
- Banking partners as required by credit card association rules for inclusion on their list of terminated merchants (in the event that you meet their criteria which includes having ACE close your ACE Account due to your breach of the ACE User Agreement).
- Law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties when
- we are compelled to do so by a subpoena, court order or similar legal procedure
- we need to do so to comply with law or credit card rules
- we believe in good faith that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity or to investigate violations of our User Agreement.
- Other third parties with your consent or direction to do so.
ACE will not sell or rent any of your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes and only shares your personal information with third parties as described in this policy.
How you can restrict ACE from sharing your personal information
Federal and state laws allow you to restrict the sharing of your personal information in certain instances. However, these laws also state that you cannot restrict other types of sharing. Because we have chosen to refrain from certain types of data sharing, the only type of sharing of your personal information that you may restrict is as follows:
How you can access or change your personal information
How you can contact us about privacy questions
If you have questions or concerns regarding this policy, you should contact us by writing to us at ACE, Attn: Privacy Department, 113 Eastwind Lane, Fern Park, FL 32730-2991.
What to do About Questions or Errors with Your Transactions.
You should notify ACE as soon as you can if you believe:
- your account statement (you can access your account statement by logging into your account) or your transaction confirmation (which is sent to you via email) is wrong;
- you need more information about a transaction listed on the statement or transaction confirmation; or
- there has been an unauthorized transaction, other error or unauthorized access to your ACE account.
You must notify us no later than 60 days after the error first appears in your account statement. We will extend the 60-day time period if a good reason, such as a hospital stay, prevented you from notifying us within 60 days.
For any type of error, you can telephone ACE Customer Service at (877) 322-7139. You can also notify us in writing or online by following the instructions below.
- Writing to ACE, Attn: Error Resolution Department, 6428 Ridge Terr. #435, Orlando, FL 32810.
If you notify us orally, we may request that you send us your complaint or question in writing (by following the notification procedures described in the paragraphs above) within 10 business days of providing us the oral notice.
When you notify us (orally or in writing), provide us with the following information:
- Your name and email address you used to register your account, and
- A description of the suspected unauthorized transaction or other error and an explanation as to why you believe it is incorrect or why you need more information to identify the transaction, and
- The date and dollar amount of the suspected unauthorized transaction or other error.
During the course of our investigation, we may request additional information from you.
Once you notify us of a suspected error, we will investigate your complaint or question within 10 business days (or up to 20 business days for new accounts – accounts that have 30 days or fewer since the date of their first transaction). If we need more time, we may take up to 45 days to complete our investigation (or up to 90 days for new accounts, point of sale or foreign initiated transactions).
We will inform you of our decision within three business days after completing our investigation. If we determine that there was an error, we will promptly correct the error. If we decide that there was not an error, we will include an explanation of our decision in our email to you. You may request copies of the documents that we used in our investigation.
For this purpose, our "business days" are Monday through Friday. Holidays are not included as business days for other than course related inquires.